====== BOARD MEETING ======
First up, is anyone using IRC that can do meeting logs with bryce's scripts?
|tedg||We need to get minutes up, but I'm not sure how to do that exactly.||18:02|
|doctormo||Did we choose a secretary position? That should be a defined job right?||18:02|
|tedg||\u0001ACTION sent a long message: < https://matrix.org/_matrix/media/r0/download/matrix.org/HYEEhjfByKZIYvbZZkulRtKK/message.txt >\u0001|
No, we didn't. I've kinda done it on and off, but bryce was still doing the minutes.
|Mc||tedg: we got \||18:03|
|doctormo||So did we n rocket chat||18:04|
|tedg||I found something that'll download the matrix logs, but I haven't played with it.||18:04|
|RdH||(but the link works)||18:04|
|tedg||Guess I'm gonna have to prioritize that.|
Oh, interesting. I didn't know that Matrix did that.
K, I'll take figuring out minutes as an action.
|Tav||============ Board Meeting ===============||18:05|
|tedg||doctormo, follow links||18:05|
|Tav||Hi all, oops missed the first \||18:05|
|doctormo||We had a request from Vecteezy about sponsoring us, but they were super pushy about follow links||18:06|
|doctormo||They also asked about getting development priorities, but I batted that away since we can't do development for money under the 503c||18:07|
|tedg||Yeah, we had talked about getting a list of consultants for that at some point, did that go anywhere?|
(I think it got lost in details)?
|doctormo||They were asking about the $10k sponsorship for the footer, and the $5k sponsorship for the front page, wanting to know if $10k came with both, or just one (it's just one)||18:08|
|Tav||Remind me what a \||18:08|
|doctormo||(let's table the consultants discussion, it's interesting but aside I think)||18:08|
|tedg||For the follow links. My concern is that we were getting people who didn't care about Inkscape but just wanted the follow links.||18:08|
|doctormo||So the idea of a follow link, is that search engines will see you linking to another website and rank that website higher. A nofollow property indicates to search engines that they don't need to follow the link and don't count it towards their search index.||18:09|
|tedg||It seems like the Vecteezy folks probably use Inkscape -- and thus aren't in that category.||18:09|
|Mc||@Tav basically a nofollow link is a link where we tell search engine crawlers \||18:09|
|doctormo||They do use Inkscape for sure, I'm fairly certain that I'm also discussing things with their marketing department who are trying to squeeze as much out of us as possible.||18:10|
|Tav||@Mc @doctormo Ah, thanks for reminding me...||18:10|
|tedg||I'm curious if we could say \||18:10|
|Mc||Inkscape has a huge alexa rank so any organic link (without a nofollow) will increase pagerank of linked entity by some||18:10|
|doctormo||So, a link from our front page isn't so much. But one of our things is the footer link, which for $10k means hundreds of follow links (if it was a follow link)||18:11|
|doctormo||Because every single inkscape.org page would link to their website.||18:11|
|NPJ2000||Only $10K ?||18:11|
|adam.belis||thats a pretty good deal for them :D||18:11|
|doctormo||My proposal is that we remove that from our sponsorship at the 10k level, it's probably not what we want.||18:11|
|tedg||Haha, yes, perhaps we're being too cheap.||18:12|
|Mc||Yeah I don't think follow link from the footer would be a good idea, but if there is a blogpost about the sponsor it will have a follow link||18:12|
|tedg||That's a good point, I like that.||18:12|
|doctormo||For context, Red Hat just gave us $20k, no footer link.||18:12|
|doctormo||So $10k does give then two news articles, which can include links||18:12|
|Mc||footer link = enough to pay for a swe for a year :p||18:13|
|doctormo||(6 months apart)||18:13|
|NPJ2000||They should still be listed on a sponsors/contributors page, yes?||18:13|
|doctormo||@NPJ2000 Yes, they would go where RedHat is already on that page||18:13|
|Tav||(Speaking of which, do we have know our balance?)||18:13|
|Mc||yes, I don't mind about links there either, they can be follow||18:13|
|tedg||I think that's an interesting point Mc, perhaps instead of removing we need to push up the levels.||18:13|
|doctormo||No, SFC won't say yet.||18:13|
|Tav||Two prices, one with a follow link, one without. Require follow links to somehow relate to Inkscape's mission.||18:14|
|tedg||Okay, so doctormo can you write something up the list so we can get an official vote on it?||18:15|
|doctormo||To be voted: removal of the foot link reward.||18:15|
|doctormo||Or, increasing the sponsorship amount for the follow link footer?||18:15|
|tedg||I'd say let's do it in two steps. Remove the footer, that'll go quick.|
Then let's do another about rejigging the award levels.
|Mc||I don't think we should (ever) propose follow links for the footer||18:17|
|doctormo||OK, can we vote here and now on the footer? I think we can just get rid of it easier and we can do a mailing list vote/discussion for the levels||18:17|
|tedg||We don't technically have a way to vote in meetings.||18:18|
|Mc||but follow links in blogposts and sponsors page, sure||18:18|
|Tav||We're also missing two board members.||18:18|
|doctormo||tedg: charter restriction?||18:18|
|tedg||Besides my mail client being messed up, I think it'll go quickly. I can do an ugly reply from my phone.|
A little worried about time, even though I was flippant, we ended up with a long agenda.
Tav, can you talk to the GSoC item?
|Tav||----- GSoC -----||18:20|
|Mc||@Tav do you want to do the registration or should I do it (we have 2 weeks left)||18:20|
|Tav||@Mc Either way.||18:21|
|Tav||I've updated the page a bit but some work still needs to be done.||18:21|
Community application for Outreachy is open until March 1st
|Mc||(for the summer period)||18:22|
|adam.belis||just repeting that this is popuar feature request||18:22|
|tedg||Tav, Mc, are you gonna be our admins this year?||18:22|
|Mc||I guess so||18:22|
|RdHemail@example.com just FYI: even Affinity doesn't have that. It's also a popular request there.||18:23|
|RdH||(and they are really going for the Adobe crowd)||18:23|
|tedg||Cool, thanks Tav and Mc. Do we need any board actions there?||18:23|
|Mc||should I go for the outreachy registration, following the vote from last october ?||18:24|
|Tav||I don't think so.||18:24|
|Mc||(since that one does involve money (but probably easy to handle, all within sfc))||18:25|
|tedg||@ryangorley, can we add a action for the vectors meeting to start looking at promoting for applicants?||18:25|
|tedg||Cool, next up I have the discussion on who can vote in elections.|
I didn't see anything on the mailing list.
Has there been any discussion there?
|ryangorley||What's Google's deadline btw?||18:26|
|Tav||-------- Election ---------||18:26|
|Tav||I don't recall seeing any discussion.||18:26|
|ryangorley||(nm, I see 2 weeks. I'll figure it out)||18:26|
|tedg||@ryangorley, we have to apply first, so not technically until we're accepted.||18:27|
|ryangorley||I'll ping you aside from the meeting.||18:27|
|tedg||Was there any discussion in Vectors about what would constitute a contribution?||18:27|
|Mc||We did not get a reply from SFC, and I forget to send a reminder||18:28|
|ryangorley||Eh, no. I'll add that to discussion.||18:28|
|Mc||(they are probably busy preparing for FOSDEM this weekend though, big time for talks)||18:28|
|tedg||Okay, I'm personally less worried about how we modify the charter than what we want to modify it too. One feels like a long discussion and the other feels like buerocracy.|
(so many typos)
|tedg||Okay, so I think the thing we need to decide now is whether we want to set dates for an election now. Or whether we want to wait until that is complete.|
We tabled the dates based on that last month.
|Tav||I'm wondering if there are any others who'll want to step aside.||18:30|
|doctormo||Email sent to board list for vote.||18:31|
|tedg||Tav, that's interesting, but orthogonal|
Tav, perhaps reach out to some folks?
Does anyone want to do an election right now, or do folks want to wait?
|doctormo||I have an infrastructure meeting in two weeks, a similar dedicated meeting can and should be organised on big blue button for this||18:33|
|tedg||Personally, I'd like to use this to push and figure out this contributor voting thing. We've put it off for... forever... and I'd like to see us do it.||18:33|
|doctormo||I agree, tedg, would you be willing to come to a video meeting to hash it out?||18:33|
|Tav||I think input from Vectors is vital.||18:34|
|tedg||Yup, I don't think we can hash it out in an hour...|
If we had a kernel of what we want to do, I think we could hash out the text. But that's slightly different.
|doctormo||OK, would 3 weeks from now be good for everyone? does anyone have any date preferences?||18:35|
|doctormo||@ryangorley @Moini @michele @adam.belis @nathanal you guys should attend too if you can, as this is about your team's voting rights too.||18:36|
|Tav||Any time works for me.||18:36|
|doctormo||OK, I'll add a tentative date to the calendar, can anyone message me if the time set is not good for them and we'll try and get something good for everyone.||18:37|
|ryangorley||I can't do Sundays, but any other day is typically okay.||18:38|
|ryangorley||We usually have Vectors meetings Saturday morning (US)/evening(EU)||18:38|
|ryangorley||Which usually works for people.||18:38|
|tedg||K, I think that's gotten as far as it can here.|
Let's move to the next item.
Is there anything we need to talk about WRT the Apple thing?
There was some mailing list traffic, but I think that's moving along.
I wanted to reply to bkuhn about the 1.1 release plans to see if we can get it done by then?
|RdH||The SFC has agreed that we've made enough progress to finally process my reimbursement request - yay! I'll tell you once I actually got the money.||18:39|
|Tav||------ Apple Devloper ------||18:40|
|tedg||What do folks think? Just let it go on its way, or try for 1.1?||18:40|
|Mc||I think we can just let it follow its course||18:40|
|RdH||I actually have more to say, but I was reminded to keep things confidential and I fear we've grown a bit careless during the last meeting. But I think most of it is in the mails - you do get the inkscape-at-sfconservancy, right?||18:40|
|doctormo||Calendar entry for charter/voter discussion: https://inkscape.org/cals/event/11/||18:40|
|tedg||@RdH, yes, I think everyone in the board does.|
I don't know, I guess I was feeling it was more \
|RdH||These meetings here are in the public and also logged, so that's my primary concern.||18:42|
|tedg||Yeah, but we have more issue getting people to come rather than having too many people reading them 🤣||18:43|
|RdH||Ok. If you read the mails, this info will suffice: SFC will be doing what Gnome does.||18:43|
|RdH||And I'm in contact with their legal counsel to sort out some details.||18:44|
|tedg||Cool, thank you for taking this on @RdH, it has been more than I think anyone expected.|
But I think it'll be great for our users when it is all said and done.
Next up, dev meeting update. Tav, Mc ?
|RdH||Once this is done, we will have new option to discuss: focus more on mac development because we want to go after that App Store revenue stream. (And current Inkscape is not good enough for that.)||18:45|
|doctormo||Great for our users, grate for our developers :-D||18:46|
|Mc||yep, mostly tech discussions about stuff going on codewise||18:46|
|doctormo||I was at the dev meeting, it was good.||18:46|
|doctormo||Mostly looking after the issue blockers list for 1.1||18:47|
|Tav||Sorry to have missed the last developers meeting... (family obligations).||18:47|
|tedg||Sounds good, thanks for the updates!||18:47|
|Tav||------ Developer's Meeting ------||18:48|
|tedg||Next up: Community and Developer Development, Tav||18:48|
|Tav||------ Community Development ------||18:48|
|Tav||Nothing to add...||18:48|
We can leave that as an ongoing program.
Have we identified some books to send out?
(should I change the agenda to something more specific like \
|Tav||There is a preliminary list but the big thing is to come up with a list of those eligible.||18:50|
|tedg||Okay, do we have some, can we send to those folks we've identified?||18:51|
|tedg||@ryangorley, can you identify some vectors people that we could send books to?|
Mc, any new contributors showing up to dev meetings?
|Tav||Not to pile on Vectors, but maybe they can propose a criteria for eligibility and a list of people.||18:53|
|Mc||tedg: yes, mike K :)||18:54|
|tedg||Yeah, I'd like to see some non-dev people get recognition||18:54|
|Mc||he started to help fix a few stuff, quite efficiently||18:55|
|ryangorley||I'm not sure what books this is referring too...||18:55|
|ryangorley||Is this your book Tav?||18:55|
|Tav||@ryangorley Have a look at the link above. It's any book that might of help to someone in moving the Inkscape community forward.||18:55|
|tedg||@ryangorley, we've had a program in the past that we've been trying to reboot where we sent useful books as a thank you for contributing. Ideally something that is helpful to what they do but also a thank you.||18:55|
|tedg||In the past, it has been mostly developers (all?) that have gotten technical books.||18:56|
|Mc||I need a book \||18:56|
|tedg||Mc, you may have to write that one. 😉||18:56|
|Tav||@Mc You'll probably have to write that book yourself.||18:56|
|ryangorley||I'm sure some Vectors people could benefit. Would be a nice gesture for sure||18:57|
|tedg||Okay, so 3 minutes... @ryangorley tell us what Vectors have been up to!|
(I'll mention on my action items that I'm making progress, but not complete and harassing the SFC, no tangible results. Gonna be more annoying)
|Tav||@tedg We definitely need a financial report. It's getting to the point of ridiculousness.||18:59|
|RdH||Mc: the book you're looking for is probably the bible. You just have to interpret it right... :D||18:59|
|tedg||Tav, I agree. I've started escillating it.||18:59|
|ryangorley||Someone else could probably better answer since I've been a bit aloof this month with work. Mostly getting About Screen contest submissions. We're also going to have a virtual booth at a Linux conference in Germany next month.||19:00|
|ryangorley||Credit goes to Maren, Michelle, and others for these.||19:00|
|tedg||Awesome, thanks to Maren and Michelle!|
I saw several social media posts about both.
Does Maren still need presenters?
|ryangorley||She'd probably be happy for more||19:02|
|tedg||K, I'll see if I can convince some folks at my local Makerspace to get involved.|
Wow, okay. So Tav was right and we had a lot more to talk about than I thought!
Board members make sure to reply to doctormo's email so he can get that moving.
We're not THAT LATE, thank you everyone.
===== END OF MEETING =====
(oh, and the chat about voting, check that date)